Answer to (SPK) HedgeHog

SuperCow

Answer to (SPK) HedgeHog

Post by SuperCow »

During tonight's game HedgeHog asked me for a few tips to improve your shooting skills in WolfET. I couldn't answer him on the spot as I was playing so I'd like to take this opportunity to do it on those forums.

First of all let me say that I don't consider myself to be a top shooter, far from that. The reason I may appear to be "good" at this game is probably more due to my survival skills ("knowing when to hold them and when to fold them") than my shooting ones.

There are quite a few things one can do to improve your shooting skills in WolfET.

1) Buy a proper mouse and mouse pad
Should be obvious really but a proper optical mouse makes a huge difference. I used to use a simple "ball" Microsoft Intellimouse and only swear by it until the day I tried out a Logitech G5. Huge difference. You'll need to make sure your mouse "tracks" properly on your surface (when surfaces are not reflective and/or lack patterns optimal mice can skip some movements) so a good choice of mouse mat is also important (personally I use my wooden desk).

2) Lower your mouse sensitivity
That's no secret. Most great aimers out there are low-sensitivity players. This means you need to do more movement with your mouse to move your crosshair on the screen. As a result your movements become more precise and it becomes easier to track enemy players and their heads. Be warned that it takes quite some time to get used to a lower sensitivity though. For years I played as a high-sens player until I got fed up of getting killed all the time. I bit the bullet and decreased my sensitivity - took me at least a few days to get used to it and during this time I sucked donkey bottom at the game. Then all of a sudden it feld right and I was back in business - but with more accuracy. Lowering your sensitivity also has disadvantages though as you need large movements to turn around (thus a large desk or mouse mat are required).

3) Tweak your setup
Use a small crosshair that doesn't obscure your view (a lot of players use a simple dot), disable bobbing, set up your HUD so that it doesn't get in the way, disable the drawing of the gun, enable hit sounds, etc. There are quite a few things you can do to tweak your setup - but make sure whatever you do is allowed by Punkbuster.

4) Aim for the head
This one should be obvious :). Try to align your cursor at head level wherever your crosshair goes. However getting the first successful shot is more important than a head shot as your enemy will then have a handicap trying to shoot back. Also at long range aiming for the head only does a little extra damage compared to a body shot so it is better to aim in the middle of the body to increase the chances to hit (because of spread).

5) Know when to crouch
Crouching reduces the spread and should be used when you're shooting at opponents from a safe position.

6) Sprint
Find an extra finger on your hand and use it to press that sprint button during a firefight. Get used to aim while sprinting.

7) Practice your aim
I recommend to read an article called "aimingbyraz" (Google it). It contains a lot of pointers to improve your aim at Wolf (RTCW/ET).

Hope this helps.
DreamTheater
Sweet Dreams
Sweet Dreams

Post by DreamTheater »

i agree with your survival(hold em fold em) thing, not saying your bad cause your one of the better ones on the server :P if you can manage it right you get a lot out of that.. i should learn that :P i just run in and start firing :D
EVERYBODY BEESWAT
AraGoth teh uber haxor!
The Wannabe Haxor!
The Wannabe Haxor!

Re: Answer to (<font color=#00ff00><b>((SPK))</

Post by AraGoth teh uber haxor! »

SuperCow wrote:During tonight's game HedgeHog asked me for a few tips to improve your shooting skills in WolfET. I couldn't answer him on the spot as I was playing so I'd like to take this opportunity to do it on those forums.

First of all let me say that I don't consider myself to be a top shooter, far from that. The reason I may appear to be "good" at this game is probably more due to my survival skills ("knowing when to hold them and when to fold them") than my shooting ones.

There are quite a few things one can do to improve your shooting skills in WolfET.

1) Buy a proper mouse and mouse pad
Should be obvious really but a proper optical mouse makes a huge difference. I used to use a simple "ball" Microsoft Intellimouse and only swear by it until the day I tried out a Logitech G5. Huge difference. You'll need to make sure your mouse "tracks" properly on your surface (when surfaces are not reflective and/or lack patterns optimal mice can skip some movements) so a good choice of mouse mat is also important (personally I use my wooden desk).

2) Lower your mouse sensitivity
That's no secret. Most great aimers out there are low-sensitivity players. This means you need to do more movement with your mouse to move your crosshair on the screen. As a result your movements become more precise and it becomes easier to track enemy players and their heads. Be warned that it takes quite some time to get used to a lower sensitivity though. For years I played as a high-sens player until I got fed up of getting killed all the time. I bit the bullet and decreased my sensitivity - took me at least a few days to get used to it and during this time I sucked donkey bottom at the game. Then all of a sudden it feld right and I was back in business - but with more accuracy. Lowering your sensitivity also has disadvantages though as you need large movements to turn around (thus a large desk or mouse mat are required).

3) Tweak your setup
Use a small crosshair that doesn't obscure your view (a lot of players use a simple dot), disable bobbing, set up your HUD so that it doesn't get in the way, disable the drawing of the gun, enable hit sounds, etc. There are quite a few things you can do to tweak your setup - but make sure whatever you do is allowed by Punkbuster.

4) Aim for the head
This one should be obvious :). Try to align your cursor at head level wherever your crosshair goes. However getting the first successful shot is more important than a head shot as your enemy will then have a handicap trying to shoot back. Also at long range aiming for the head only does a little extra damage compared to a body shot so it is better to aim in the middle of the body to increase the chances to hit (because of spread).

5) Know when to crouch
Crouching reduces the spread and should be used when you're shooting at opponents from a safe position.

6) Sprint
Find an extra finger on your hand and use it to press that sprint button during a firefight. Get used to aim while sprinting.

7) Practice your aim
I recommend to read an article called "aimingbyraz" (Google it). It contains a lot of pointers to improve your aim at Wolf (RTCW/ET).

Hope this helps.

8 ) or....get uber l337 hacks! hahahahahhahah!
Kazza
Music of the 18 Century
Music of the 18 Century

Post by Kazza »

lol aragoths seems much easier :D
blackangel
Fear the Blackness
Fear the Blackness

Post by blackangel »

rofl arag...and you know better about it, cause you like to watch them ^^ ;D
Laugh Warrior

Wimpeh
Smell the Mel
Smell the Mel

Post by Wimpeh »

9) Don't jump during fights

10) On long range fights don't try to aim at all just when the enemy is crouching just strafe with him
▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▒
▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▒▓
▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▒
▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▒▒
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▒▒
AraGoth teh uber haxor!
The Wannabe Haxor!
The Wannabe Haxor!

blackangel wrote:rofl arag...and you know better about it, cause you like to watch them ^^ ;D
Yes...i like to admire people from afar.. :[roll]:
m0pX

Post by m0pX »

I find shooting itself easy. No problem finding their head even when they are sprinting past me and strafing, I just suck at surviving :P
Blackrhino
Partners in Crime

Post by Blackrhino »

i just kill peeps with my skillz tbh XD
DreamTheater
Sweet Dreams
Sweet Dreams

Post by DreamTheater »

thats why you never have any kills :D
EVERYBODY BEESWAT
Blackrhino
Partners in Crime

Post by Blackrhino »

more than u tbh :P
Squee
First Lady
First Lady

Post by Squee »

m0pX wrote:I find shooting itself easy. No problem finding their head even when they are sprinting past me and strafing, I just suck at surviving :P
i hear you mopx.. i hear ya
Watch Out For Rabies I Bite!

Look at my big ole' (acorn) (acorn)'s

*star*=Squees' gold star! :chear:
Kazza
Music of the 18 Century
Music of the 18 Century

Post by Kazza »

:lol: nice avatar goth 8)
AraGoth teh uber haxor!
The Wannabe Haxor!
The Wannabe Haxor!

I combed my hair aspecially!
lost-hedgehog
Sonic without a Map
Sonic without a Map

Post by lost-hedgehog »

Thanks for the reply for supercow...

i have my trusty trust 5 button ball mouse which is where i think my aiming issue lies :lol: need to get a new one

I also have no survival skills i think :lol: i need one of those radar things of alliens that beeps when merchant is about :lol:

I use low sensitivity, about 4 but i find i either can shoot really well for the day or i suck giant donkeys :roll:

are the G5's the ones that have weights and stuff? if so i think snakeys got one, ups his acc by about 7%! as does a 19th monitor

I'll give your words of wisdom a go,

thanks again

Hedgy
<!--== Busy doing something i shouldnt be ==--!>
f@tal
DY-NO-MITE!!!
DY-NO-MITE!!!

Post by f@tal »

ive looked up aiming by raz before and dled it. it was way too much work. from what i hear hes amazing. i remember playing with him in goldy before he cheated....
:twisted: Compare your life to mine then kill yourself. :twisted:

:twisted: The dumber people think you are the more surprised they are when you kill them. :twisted:

:twisted: There are no problems that can't be solved with a suitable application of explosives. :twisted:
Klepto

Re: Answer to <font color=#00ff00><b>((SPK))</b

Post by Klepto »

SuperCow wrote:2) Lower your mouse sensitivity

Code: Select all

/seta sensitivity "13.989583"
/seta cg_fov "120"
...just 'cos I'm lazy and can't be bothered moving my arm :P
SuperCow

Post by SuperCow »

are the G5's the ones that have weights and stuff? if so i think snakeys got one, ups his acc by about 7%! as does a 19th monitor
Yeah the G5 mouse is the one with weights but I dont use those. I don't think one can make a precise statement along the lines of "switching to a G5 improved my aim by X%" because your aim also depends *a lot* on the players you're facing. For instance if you have sprinters in front of me (like me) then your aim won't be as good. If on the other hand you have people who "don't tend to move a lot when firing" then of course your aim will increase....
lost-hedgehog
Sonic without a Map
Sonic without a Map

Post by lost-hedgehog »

cool... sounds like i'll get a g5...

on my old config i had a lovely piece of script that automatically sprinted whilst shooting my gun or pistols... but alas i reformatted the wrong drive (stupidity is my middle name :lol: )

does anyone know how to write it?
hedgy
Eirik

Post by Eirik »

Hedgy Here ya go m8

http://ftp.freenet.de/pub/4players/host ... %20Bin.htm
The 3 line.
There are some other goodies on the site if that u can check out ;)
*Owned* ?
lost-hedgehog
Sonic without a Map
Sonic without a Map

Post by lost-hedgehog »

thanks.. page no seamy worky tho :(
Wimpeh
Smell the Mel
Smell the Mel

Post by Wimpeh »

[copy]http://ftp.freenet.de/pub/4players/host ... %20Bin.htm[/copy]

copy the url inside the tags, the url shows wrong because there is ' in it.
▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▒
▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▒▓
▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▒
▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▒▒
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▓▓▒▒▒
m0pX

Post by m0pX »

The MX518 is just as good as the G5 and a little cheaper, and has an extra button on the side :)
P4in
Partners in Crime

Post by P4in »

Yeah,im on my 2nd mx518,great mouse,only need to feed it once a day.
MoW

Post by MoW »

<b>oh my gosh</b> u have to feed it??? no wonder my aim crap but my bullets always find u pain ;)